- 7 hours ago
- 9 hours ago
- 11 hours ago
- 18 hours ago
- 20 hours ago
Brittney Griner: Why she kicks ass
- She is a 23 year old, 6 feet 8 inches tall, professional basketball player who currently plays for the Phoenix Mercury of the Women’s National Basketball Association (WNBA).
- "There are a whole lot of ways to be a woman."
- She was the first NCAA basketball player ever to score 2,000 points and block 500 shots, and has won two Naismith trophies.
- In 2012 she was named the AP Player of the Year and the Most Outstanding Player of the Final Four, and was granted the Best Female Athlete ESPY Award.
- In 2009, Griner was named the nation’s #1 high school women’s basketball player by Rivals.com, featured on the cover of ESPN’s Rise Magazine, was selected by the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association as the 2009 State Farm/WBCA High School Player of the Year.
- She was the the first person to dunk twice in a single WNBA, on her debut game.
- She has a Nike contract that will allow her the freedom to wear menswear apparel (something that has never been done before.)
- “I knew once I went pro that I wanted to come out because I wanted to work with LGBT youth — to let them know it’s OK. To younger girls and boys I would say, ‘It’s never too late — you can come out at your own time’, but it’s definitely rewarding knowing you can be who you are and have a good support group around you. It makes your life 100 times better.”
Get it, girl.
(I hate how straight men talk about her :/)
- 23 hours ago
I just got around to seeing this movie, despite the fact that it did not get a wide-release.
Find it and watch it.
Believe me when I say, this film is in the same league of sci-fi/speculative film classics as Bladerunner and Children of Men.
Should have a HUGE fandom.
It deals with issues like class, caste-systems, oppression, and the nature of humanity in a way mainstream films like The Hunger Games never could.
Let me tell you a story about the film-maker Joon-Ho Bong. Some years back, I had the privilege of attending a screening of one his films and the man happened to be there. At that time, he’d already gotten some notice for making The Host, another awesome film that allegorizes heavy issues in humanity.
So, he does the q&a at the end and someone asks him why he’s never produced a Hollywood movie.
…And he says, paraphrasing; that Hollywood would never let him make the kind of movies he’d like. He’d have to hire an all-white cast and the actors would have to fit a certain aesthetic. They couldn’t be non-white, older than twenty-five, or non-thin…especially actresses.
He said, it’s not worth selling out, when he can make the kinds of movies he wants in South Korea.
…And then he makes this.
I’d love to spoil it for you, but suffice it say it was, as all good speculative sci-fi is, very effecting for me.
Again, I beg you PLEASE SEE THIS MOVIE.
And if you need more convincing??
Your faves are in it: Octavia Spencer aka the above flawless actress in the poster, Chris Evans, Tilda Swinton, Jamie Bell, John Hurt, Ed Harris and the father/daughter pair from The Host, Kang-So Hung and Ah-Sung Ko (which had me thinking AU!).
Now, I shall commence spamming my tumblr with Snowpiercer reblogs…
Apologies ahead of time.
mmm the host was great i’d love to see this.
Snowpiercer has been on my radar for a little while now, and I do hope to catch it when it comes out, limited release or not. The Host was a really fun film.
Here’s to adding Snowpiercer on other people’s radar.
(trivia: the movie is based on a french graphic novel called “Transperceneige”)
and just to add one more trivia about this movie- it was originally scheduled to be released much much earlier, but that would’ve meant the movie would lose nearly 20 minutes of footage(X). The director fought tooth and nail to retain the movie as it was released in Korea, and although the agreement has been reached not to delete whooping 20 minutes(X), it also means the movie may not get the wide US release(X). So. yeah. Still crossing my finger, but thanks Weinstein and co -_-.
Cant believe I didn’t know about this
OH MAH GAWD
- 1 day ago
"At this point I have a request for our fans. If any of you in any way hate homosexuals, people of different color, or women, please do this one favor for us — leave us the fuck alone! Don’t come to our shows and don’t buy our records. - Kurt Cobain (1992)"
- 1 day ago